No announcement yet.

Corruption within the Thai Police Squad

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Corruption within the Thai Police Squad

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Ferrari.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	1088

    ‘Jo Ferrari’ – his arrest, press conference and investigation

    Details have now emerged on the arrest of former policeman Thitisan Utthanaphon, aka “Chief Joe” or “Jo Ferrari”, the Nakhon Sawan police station superintendent accused with 6 other officers of torturing and suffocating a suspect in custody, allegedly in an attempt to extort 2 Million THB. Despite previous reports originating in Thai media, the fleeing officer was not found just across the Burmese border but actually surrendered on Thursday, late afternoon, to police in Chon Buri.

    A major general from the Provincial Police Region 6 reported that he called Thitisan at 11 pm on Wednesday night, asking him to surrender and arranging to pick him up in Chon Buri earlier Thursday. The arrest was actually recorded around 4:00 pm Thursday at the Saen Suk Police Station. He was then transferred to the Crime Suppression Division on Thursday evening. In a bizarre, staged event, and despite national police declaring that the rouge officers will be received the same treatment as any other lawbreaker, Thitisan answered questions from the media by phone. The police held a late-night press conference during which they held a mobile phone to a microphone and allowed the fugitive to offer his perspective and answer questions.

    He claimed that the death was an accident and the incident, captured on CCTV, had nothing to do with any extortion plot, and that he was merely trying to get information about the illegal drug trade to protect and prevent people from drug use. He said that the suspect, identified as 24 year old Jeerapong Thanapat, was being uncooperative, so he put a black plastic bag over his head “to prevent the suspect from seeing him”. He then claimed that Jeerapong clawed at the bag, so his arms were tied behind his back to restrain him (although in the video footage the victim’s hands were tied behind his back at all times). The video footage shows the restrained man struggling with multiple police officers helping restrain and move him until he loses consciousness after which some offers attempt to resuscitate him. It was reported that Jo Ferrari instructed his death to be listed as a drug overdose and his girlfriend was released in exchange for her silence.

    Thitisan said he was just “doing his job” but he accepts that what he did was wrong and he takes all responsibility himself for the death, saying the other 6 officers involved were his subordinates that were only following his orders. National Police official Suwat Jangyodsuk made a statement saying they will not protect wrongdoers, no matter who they are, even if they are police. “Everyone will be treated the same under the legal system. The police organization must exist with people’s trust,”


    The saga unfolded when security video showing the murder went viral online, leading to arrest warrants for 7 officers of the Nakhon Sawa Muang police station. After 3, including Thitisan, were missing briefly, all 7 are now in custody. They were reportedly denied bail. During their pursuit, police went to Thitisan’s Bangkok house, which brought attention to his lavish lifestyle, with a 2 acre compound, 60 Million THB mansion, 42 luxury cars, and reports of hundreds of Millions THB cash stashed, despite his official salary of about 40,000 THB per month.

    He was said to have over 200 Million THB being held by nominees and in 2017 his estranged actress girlfriend told media he had offered her 230 Million THB held by a nominee. The revelations prompted the National Anti-Corruption Commission to launch a probe into his earnings which revealed a program that rewards police officers and others that assist with recovering illegally smuggled luxury cars with between 30 and 45% of the value of the car, reportedly netting Thitisan 400 Million THB. That policy is said to have been revised to 20% with a 5 million baht cap, per case, in 2017.

    The web of alleged corruption further unravelled to reveal that these impounded cars are later sold at auction by the Customs Department. The electronic control units were allegedly removed from the cars before being sent to the Customs Department for auction and the cars were useless without them. Whoever had the electronics units could buy and operate the vehicles… anyone else would need to pay extra to retrieve the control units. More details are sure to surface as the investigation by the NACC and police continues. The Association for the Protection of the Thai Constitution petitioned earlier today for the Public Sector Anti-Corruption Commission to open a full investigation of the 7 officers as well.

    This is a typical Thai Police/Government bullshit story

  • #2
    Nearly 200 police have been found guilty of misconduct this year

    PM Prayut Chan-o-cha is demanding immediate and severe action be taken against police officers who are found guilty of misconduct. Since January, 176 Royal Thai Police officers have been found guilty of misconduct.

    The prime minister met with the Royal Thai Police Bureau yesterday to discuss the most recent cases of police misconduct. The Royal Thai Police says that since last January, 131 police officers have been disciplined for misconduct, 38 officers have been removed from service, and 7 officers have been fired. This month, 28 officers have been disciplined, 23 have been fired and 5 officers have been removed from service.

    One of the most high-profile cases involves a former police superintendent known as “Joe Ferrari” and six of his subordinates who are accused of suffocating a suspect to death in an attempt to extort 2 million baht. The seven officers are being held at Bangkok’s Klong Prem Central Prison.

    The RTP spokesperson, Maj-General Yingyot Thepjamnong, says the disciplinary action against police proves that the commission is taking misconduct among officers seriously. Yingyot adds that if officers’ misconduct pertains to criminal cases, they will be punished through the judicial process.


    • #3
      Attorney General Office to finish review of “Joe Ferrari” case within the next 2 weeks

      A review of the death in custody case involving the now notorious former police station chief known as “Joe Ferrari” is expected to be finished within the next two weeks, according to the Attorney General’s Office. The ex-station chief in the rural province Nakhon Sawan and six of his subordinates are facing several charges, including killing by torture, which carries a maximum penalty of death.

      Former station chief Thitisan Uthanapol and the six other officers are accused of killing a drug suspect during an interrogation while demanding a 2 Million THB bribe. Video footage shows plastic bags being put on the man’s head and officers beating him as he fell to the ground. The death was reportedly written off as an overdose, but a recent autopsy report shows the man died from suffocation. Along with charges of killing by torture, they face charges of coercion, malfeasance, and abuse of power.

      The AG’s Office expects to finish reviewing the case file by November 17, which Nation Thailand reports is the last day that Thitisan can be held in police custody. He is currently incarcerated at Klong Prem Central Prison in Bangkok. A spokesperson for the AG’s Office for the office said investigation officers submitted seven folders with more than 2,000 documents.

      “As Thitisan’s release is coming up soon, we are confident that the case review will finish before November 17 despite the lengthy case file.”
      The National Anti-Corruption Commission is also investigating Thitisan’s unusual wealth and how he was able to afford a multimillion baht mansion in Bangkok and dozens of luxury cars on a police officer’s around 40,000 THB salary. The officer is said to have made a fortune from confiscating luxury cars that were smuggled into Thailand and earning rewards from the Customs Department.

      Police say there’s enough evidence to convict “Joe Ferrari” on all 4 charges

      The Royal Thai Police say they have gathered enough evidence to convict the former police superintendent “Joe Ferrari” on all four charges he faces, including killing by torture, which carries a maximum penalty of death. The officer, Thitisan Uthanapol, is accused of suffocating a suspect to death while demanding a 2 million baht bribe. The police handed over a 2,000+ page, seven folder file on the case to the Attorney General’s Office this week. A spokesperson said they are expected to finish reviewing the case file and make a decision on whether to arraign Thitisan by November, which is the last day he can be held in custody.

      Police say the documents submitted contain enough evidence to legally convict the officer. The fatal interrogation involving Thitisan and six of his subordinates had been caught on camera and leaked to the public by a lawyer, causing a massive uproar. With a public wary of police and elites that seem to be above the law evading prosecution for their illegal actions, the Royal Thai Police sought to reassure the public that they have strong and plentiful evidence that can lead to a conviction for Thitisan. Police outlined the four main charges on which they intend to prosecute Thitisan and the six other officers being held in connection to the suspect’s death in custody…
      1. Section 289: Jointly killing by torturing and other cruel means.
      2. Section 172: Jointly with more than 5 people threatening others by abusing force
      3. Section 157: Officials who wrongfully exercised their functions to the injury of any person.
      4. Section 309: Officials who jointly allude to the power of a secret society or criminal association.
      The chief of the Crime Suppression Division also gave an update about Thitisan’s shocking wealth that had the public fuming about how an officer with a 40,000 baht salary could amass a sprawling mansion on a big plot of land and hundreds of luxury cars. The National Anti-Corruption Commission is completing its investigation into the cache that earned Thitisan the nickname Joe Ferrari.

      The chief reported that 410 cars in total were impounded, and said that 270 of them were said to be brought in from neighbouring countries while 56 of them were imported from countries in Europe. Details about the remaining 84 cars have not yet been confirmed. The Royal Thai Police vowed to follow the investigation of Thitisan wherever it leads including if it implicates government officials, celebrities, or other elites.


      • #4
        "Joe Ferrari" and 6 other police, face death penalty

        Thitisan Utthanaphon, aka. Joe Ferrari, along with 6 other police, will be indicted this week over 4 charges relating to the alleged torture and subsequent murder of a 24 year old drug suspect. The 7 police now facing official charges are…

        Pol Col Thitisan Utthanaphon (head of the station)
        Pol Maj Rawirot Ditthong
        Pol Capt Songyot Khlainak
        Pol Lt Thoranin Matwanna
        Pol Snr Sgt Maj Suphakon Nimchuen
        Pol Snr Sgt Maj Wisut Bunkhiew
        Pol L/C Pawikon Khammarew

        The Central Investigation Bureau made the announcement yesterday and says the Office of the Attorney-General will officially prosecute the 8 individuals early next week. The charges carry a maximum sentence of the death penalty (a rare occurrence, only 7 people have been executed by lethal injection injection since 2003).

        The AOG has agreed to prosecute Pol Col Thitisan Utthanaphon, the former chief of the Muang district police station in central Thailand’s Nakhon Sawan, along with 6 other police that were in the room when the alleged crime was committed. Thitisan Utthanaphon continues to deny all charges and vows to fight the case in court. All 7 police have been discharged from duty but retain their ranks in the police force, pending the outcome of the trial, although they’ve been held in Bangkok’s Klong Prem prison during the investigations

        An initial report, submitted on November 3, recommended 4 charges…torture causing death, malfeasance, abuse of authority, and coercion. The AOG has now decided to prosecute the full 4 charges in the Central Criminal Court for Corruption & Misconduct. 24 year old Chiraphong Thanapat had several plastic bags put over his head during an interrogation on August 5 this year. A later autposy revealed that he died of asphyxiation (suffocation) despite the attending police initially asking the hospital to allegedly list the death as from the victim’s heart problems.

        The 8 police also stand accused of trying to extort 2 Million THB from him. A video of Chiraphong’s death shows his head covered by a black plastic bag during an interrogation as he was being suffocated. The CCTV footage was released to a lawyer by a junior policeman at the station and immediately went viral on the internet. The main protagonist, Thitisan Utthanaphon, who has become infamous because of his nickname ‘Joe Ferrari’, was able to amass enormous wealth and an array of luxury and sports cars, despite his relatively young age of 30.

        UPDATE: June 08.2022
        Former police chief ‘Joe Ferrari’ sentenced to life in prison

        The Central Criminal Court for Corruption and Misconduct Cases in Bangkok today sentenced to death former cop, Thitisan Utthanaphon, aka. Joe Ferrari, before later commuting his sentence. Thitisan was the police chief in Nakhon Sawan in central Thailand, when he led the torture and eventual death of a suspected drug trafficker in August last year. The Court today ruled that Thitisan’s actions carry the death sentence, although the penalty was commuted to life in prison instead. He is sentenced along with 6 other officers: Raveeroj Ditthon, Songyot Klainak, Thanin Masawanna, Wisut Boonkiew and Paweekorn Kammaraw, who were charged for intentionally murdering others by “dangerously torturing”.

        The 6 officers were also initially sentenced to death, but the penalties were reduced to life in jail because they sent the victim to a hospital. Another suspect, Supakorn Nimchoen, wasn’t charged with murder, but he was charged with “abuse of function”. He was sentenced to 7 years jail time, but the penalty reduced to 5 years and 4 months. Thitisan was captured on video in a violent interrogation of a suspect in an alleged drugs case, during which the superintendent with his subordinates placed 6 plastic bags over the man’s head and tied his hands behind his back which led to his suffocation until he died.

        The video of the botched interrogation and torture went viral, shocking viewers of the violent police treatment of a suspect. The police station CCTV footage was leaked by a junior officer. The 39 year old former police chief and 6 other officers were subsequently arrested and charged in the investigation. Thitisan is also being investigated for his role in the seizure, resale, and ownership of high-end cars. The former police chief earned the nickname Joe Ferrari as a result of his collection of luxury vehicles. His assets, which were seized as part of the investigation, also include a 57-million-baht mansion in Bangkok.

        In total, investigating officers have seized assets valued at 130 Million THB including 24 cars valued at 70 Million THB a condo worth 1.5 Million THB and 18 guns worth 720,000 THB


        • #5
          Pattaya business owners claim authorities issued fake, overpriced SHA+ certificates

          A number of business owners in Pattaya say they were duped into buying fake documents to certify that they meet standards set by Thailand’s Safety and Health Administration. When authorities inspected their businesses, they discovered the SHA+ documents had been fabricated. Some say they even paid thousands of baht to have the certification process expedited.

          Around 20 business owners from Jomtien – Pattaya Entrepreneurs Club met Pattaya Deputy Governor Wuttisak Rurmkitjakan to complain that they had paid a high price for SHA+ certificates and other business documents, which they later discovered were fake. They say a person who identified themselves as a Pattaya official would ask for 3,000 THB to even 45,000 THB for services to help expedite the SHA certification process. The authority also offered business licenses and other documents.

          One business owner says a person who claimed to be a Pattaya official offered him a way to fast-track the certification process, saying he would need to pay an “operation cost” for the service. Since many in Pattaya have been suffering over the past two years due to the lack of foreign tourists, the business owner agreed to pay a price for the certification to open sooner.

          For the nationwide certification scheme, health authorities teamed up with the Tourism Authority of Thailand, allowing hotels, restaurants, and other businesses in the tourism industry to undergo an inspection and be given an SHA logo, marking that they meet quality health and safety standards during the Covid-19 pandemic.

          The deputy governor admitted that some documents processed by Pattaya City Office took time due to the detailed inspection and assessment process. The deputy governor went on to say that a committee will investigate the complaints from business owners and those involved in issuing the fake documents will face punishment.


          • #6
            Son of National Police figure hits and kills Pakistani refugee with Porsche, Bangkok

            The son of a former national police chief struck and killed a Pakistani refugee with his Porsche while driving in Bangkok. The driver, Pornmet, reported to police after he was treated for head and face injuries. He admitted that he carelessly changed lanes suddenly while driving near Thaksin bridge at around 1am on yesterday morning. A police captain said police are waiting for the results of Pornmet’s blood alcohol test and medical examination.

            The man killed was Waseem Ahmad. He was 40 years old. Pornmet is 29 years old. Waseem was driving a motorcycle when Pornmet crashed into it. Waseem died of head injuries. Police are expected to charge Pornment with reckless driving causing death.

            Pornmet is an executive at a renewable energy company that his family are major shareholders of, and Forbes magazine estimates that his father’s net worth was US$585 Million in November 2019. Pornmet’s father was removed from his job with the police force in 2020 after a phone call recording with him was leaked which allegedly damaged the force’s reputation. In the recording, another police general allegedly ordered Pornmet’s father to “steer clear” of a shooting probe, according to the Bangkok Post. He was scheduled to return to his job in October.

            More information about Waseem Ahmad has not been reported yet, apart from his name, age, and that he was a Pakistani refugee.


            • #7
              Chiang Rai police arrested for taking huge bribe from Chinese porn gang

              Another day, another story involving Thai police taking bribes, this time in Chiang Rai. According to deputy police commissioner Surachate Hakpan, a.k.a ‘Big Joke,’ 4 officers in the northern province took a 1 million baht bribe from a Chinese gang filming live pornography at 2 resorts. One of the officers had searched the gang’s filming spot on March 31. He reportedly found recording equipment, phones, condoms, and sex toys. But the officer didn’t go after the gangsters- instead, he immediately announced that he hadn’t found anything. No charges were pressed.

              But later, it was discovered that a fixer who arranged locations for the gang had gone to the bank to withdraw 800,000 baht. On April 1 and April 4, the fixer, Anusorn, gave the money to the 4 rogue officers. In return, they gave back the equipment they had seized. Shortly after the dirty little exchange, the gang continued filming their ‘projects’, moving their work to a different resort. Meanwhile, Anusorn continued making visits to the bank to withdraw more money.

              On May 26, tech police raided the second resort, arresting and charging a Chinese man, 2 Thai women, and several Thai, Chinese, and Laotian performers. One performer was 17 years old. Then, the 4 rogue officers were also arrested and charged. General Surachate flew into Chiang Mai on Thursday to announce the officer’s arrests to the press. Bribery among Thailand’s police is a notorious issue, something the country is often ridiculed for. Police often bribe suspects involved in drug and sex crimes to give them money in exchange for not jailing them.


              • #8
                Former Special Branch Officer names police involved in illegal casino operation

                A police raid that seized 4.3 Million THB from an illegal underground gambling den has sparked a bizarre war of words between the authorities and a nongovernmental organisation. More than 4.3 Million THB was seized after police raided an illegal casino hidden on the underground floor of the Ayothaya Tower on Ratchadapisak Soi 18 in Huay Kwang district of Bangkok. The Patrol and Special Operation Division Police were allegedly tipped off that the underground floor of the building was being used illegally for gambling purposes and made a swoop, arresting 52 Thai and foreign gamblers at the scene. Of those arrested 14 were Thai, 22 Chinese, 14 Burmese, and 2 Malaysian. The gamblers were charged with allegedly gambling for the possession of assets.

                The President of the Help Crime Victim Club, Achariya Ruangrathanapong, yesterday made public on his Facebook account that he notified the police about the illegal gambling den. Bizarrely, the Metropolitan Police Bureau denied it and said Achariya wasn’t involved in the raid. Achariya insists he has the information and pictures to prove it, and claims officers from Suttisan Police Station are trying to bury the case because the raid happened on Friday night and there was no announcement of it until he made the information public on Facebook yesterday. Only then did the police inform the media of the raid.

                Archariya also asked why the area’s highest ranking officer is still in office. He says PM Prayut Chan-o-cha used to insist the relevant authorities would be dismissed, punished, or moved to other positions if they were reckless in these sorts of cases. The Ayothaya Tower building, located near Sutthisan MRT Station, offers office space for rent and has residential-type units on several floors above. The officer from the Patrol and Special Operation Division informed the media that an upcoming press release will explain everything about the raid.

                UPDATE June 29.2020

                An ex-Special Branch Bureau officer has revealed the names of police involved in the operation of an illegal casino in Bangkok that was raided last Friday and denies he had any part of it. Former Pol Lt Col Santana Prayoonrat was discharged from the police service 20 years ago after obstructing officers from making arrests in regards to an illegal casino in the Noi district of Bangkok. The 63 year old was also allegedly involved in a number of other shady business arrangements that involved extortion. But insists he is innocent of being part of this latest illegal racket.

                Santana visited the Office of the Metropolitan Police Bureau yesterday to hand a letter of complaint to the Commissioner, Samran Boonma, after being accused of receiving benefits from the casino and being a middleman.
                Santana denied the allegations and presented the name of a corrupt officer as the real middleman. Santana claims the casino was operated by a relative of a high-profile police officer that welcomed only VIP gamblers. He alleges the casino was opened on June 9 and operated until it was raided last Sunday because a police inspector nicknamed “Tie” from the Patrol and Special Operation Division, took a bribe and supported it.

                Santana revealed the casino paid the police 800,000 baht per table a month. The casino had 6 tables, so police were pocketing 48 million baht per month. He also claimed that more than 17 government departments were involved in the racket. The former high-profile officer says the police involved in the illicit gambling den asked the casino to temporarily close because of strict measures launched by the institution’s hierarchy, but the operators refused, leaving officers no choice other than to raid it.

                The Bangkok North Municipal Court imposed a penalty on 3 dealers of 3 months and 15 days in jail and a fine of 11,000 baht. The Thai gamblers faced a penalty of 15 days in prison and a fine of 11,000 THB. The foreign gamblers were judged to have violated the Gambling Act, Immigration Act, and Thai Emergency Decree. They also faced a penalty of 15 days in jail and a fine at a different rate according to their nationalities. Punishment was suspended for a year on all foreigners with no criminal histories but they are required to pay their fines within 30 days. If they fail to do so, they face a jail sentence of up to 1 year.


                • #9
                  Police superintendent and 4 others charged in 6 Million THB corruption

                  A British man desperate to get out of jail was cheated out of 6 million baht which he used to attempt to buy his freedom, with 5 people charged in the scheme. A Mae Hong Son police superintendent claimed to be using his connection to the assistant national police chief to curry favour and was the highest ranking officer charged. A Thai woman has requested bail for the British man whose name was withheld from the press after the Immigration Bureau in Bangkok had taken him into custody because Interpol had issued a red notice for him. She was denied in her petition for his release.

                  Despaired, she turned to connections – common in Thailand for help with police matters. She talked to a guy who knew a guy who could contact another guy (the police superintendent) who is said to have gone to school at the Royal Police Cadet Academy with the assistant national police chief. They thought that the tenuous connection to one of the top-ranking police in Thailand would be enough to help grease the wheels and get immigration to respond and secure bail for the British. But that’s when they were told it would cost six million baht to get him freed.

                  The first two men in the chain of connections then attempted to see the British man in the Bang Khan district detention centre in Bangkok on June 29, but were denied as it was a breach of regulation. They contacted the superintendent to try to get them access to the prisoner, and he told the officer denying them that the British man had worked as an informant for him and should be allowed to have visitors. The officer on duty still denied them.

                  After that, the man who knew the superintendent told the Thai woman to transfer 6 million THB to a few bank accounts, but after it was transferred, he stopped answering his phone and made no attempt at getting the British man out of jail. The woman then went to Pak Klongsan police and filed a complaint.

                  Investigators confirmed the June 29 incident, including the superintendent dropping his own name in the phone conversation to influence the officer on duty that wouldn’t budge. They found the 6 million THB had been run through third-party bank accounts before being disbursed to the superintendent and his family, as well as the connection that told the Thai woman to deposit it.

                  The superintendent and the man who contacted him, along with three others found to have opened the bank accounts the money was siphoned through, are being charged with colluding to commit fraud.


                  • #10
                    4 out of 5 charges against Thailand’s Red Bull Heir expire, 1 remains

                    Thailand’s “Red Bull Heir” who killed a police officer in a hit-and-run in 2012 is still wanted 10 years later. Yesterday, the fourth out of the five original charges filed against Vorayuth “Boss” Yoovidya expired. However, the heir is still wanted under one valid charge: “reckless driving causing death.” “Boss” – the grandson of billionaire Red Bull co-founder Chaleo Yoovidhya – became a fugitive after speeding through the Thong Lor area of Bangkok in his Ferrari, running over police officer Wichian Klanprasert and dragging his body through the road, resulting in his death.

                    Boss still hasn’t faced justice for the crime which occurred 10 years ago. As time goes on, his arrest warrants are expiring one by one. Yesterday, Deputy Spokesperson of the Office of the Attorney-General Prayuth Phetchkhun revealed that the criminal charge against Boss for “cocaine use” had expired earlier than expected due to revisions made to Thailand’s Narcotics Act of 1979. The drug abuse charge was supposed to expire on September 3 this year.

                    According to Section 58 of the Narcotics Act of 1979, anyone who uses cocaine can be imprisoned for six months to three years. The new revision states that cocaine users can be imprisoned for no longer than one year.
                    The change to the law halved the arrest warrant’s limitation from 10 years to five years, causing’s Boss’s charge for “cocaine use” to automatically expire. The charges of “driving too fast” and “driving recklessly causing damage to property of others” expired back in 2013. The charge of “driving away from an accident without providing assistance” expired in 2017.

                    At present, “reckless driving causing death” is the only charge remaining against Boss. Under Section 291 of Thailand’s Criminal Code, reckless driving causing death is punishable by up to 10 years imprisonment. The charge will expire on September 3, 2027.

                    So, Thailand has just more than five years to track down and arrest the Red Bull Heir if he is to be held accountable for the death of police officer Wichian Klanprasert. In May this year, Thailand’s public prosecution committee unanimously agreed to kick ex-general attorney Nate Natsuk – the previous prosecutor in the case – out of the civil service for choosing not to indict the Red Bull Heir a long time ago. The Red Bull Heir’s whereabouts remain unknown.


                    • #11
                      UPDATE: Casino robbery in Bangkok sparks investigation into local police corruption


                      Today, Deputy Commander-in-Chief of the Royal Thai Police Division 1 Pol. Cl. Ekarat Pao-in gave an update about the Din Daeng casino robbery. Ekarat is also now acting Superintendent of Din Daeng Police Station since five Din Daeng officers are being investigated for corruption. Ekarat said that he and other officers searched the casino and “didn’t find anything at all.” Although, Ekarat also said that the police didn’t search the premises until 15 hours after they were notified of the robbery – giving the casino owners more than ample time to collect their money, and gambling equipment and flee the property.

                      The acting superintendent said police found an “empty room” and no surveillance cameras, despite the robbery being caught on CCTV. The original footage must have been leaked because the illegal casino’s owners were not the ones who reported the robbery to the police, which makes sense seeing as they are also criminals. The investigating officers suspect the casino owners took the surveillance cameras with them to hide evidence of their illegal gambling den, which Din Daeng officers had “never heard of,” despite it being located just 650 metres away from the police station. The officer didn’t say why it took police 15 hours to visit the illegal gambling den. The officer also didn’t say if police had made any progress tracking down the thief, “Mack Anusaoree.”

                      ORIGINAL STORY

                      CCTV footage taken in the early hours of Tuesday morning reveals a man stealing 300,000 THB cash from an illegal casino in the Din Daeng area of Bangkok. The man, known as “Mack Anusaoree,” stole the money after gambling away more than 1 Million THB, allegedly. Mack Anusaoree – “Mack Victory” – raided the gambling den on Soi Pracha Songkhro 8 armed with a gun on Tuesday morning in an attempt to steal back his losses. Sanook reports that Mack slapped the casino’s two owners, “Sia Biak” and “Sia Jack,” in the face before robbing the cash at gunpoint.

                      Popular Thai media channel PPTV has poked fun at officers from Din Daeng Police Station, who claimed they “didn’t know” that the casino existed, despite it being located just 650 metres away from the police station. PPTV even posted a picture of Google maps to prove it. Although gambling is illegal in Thailand, it is very common. Locals told reporters that the casino has been operating for a long time and believe that Din Daeng police officers were already aware of it.

                      The Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police Bureau has ordered five Din Daeng police officers to be transferred to work at the Metropolitan Police Division 1, where they can be kept a close eye on until the case is investigated fully by the National Anti-Corruption Committee (NACC). Police are preparing to arrest the thief under robbery charges as well as charges under the Firearms Act. The police have also launched an investigation into the illegally operating casino. Apparently, Mack Victory is close friends with “Sua Dusit,” a well-known gangster of Sai Mai district, also known as the “Robin Hood of Thailand.”


                      • #12
                        Anti-Corruption Deputy Secretary-General fired for corruption

                        In politics, the phrase “every accusation is a confession” has become a common cry, but the irony may be too on the nose as the National Anti-Corruption Commission Deputy Secretary-General Prayad Puangchampa was fired for having amassed an unusual amount of wealth. The commission asserted that the massive wealth should become property of the state and taken from Prayut.

                        The NACC acts as a watchdog against corruption, but today they acted on one of their own, with the chairman signing an order confirming the deputy secretary-general’s dismissal yesterday. The firing comes after accounts and assets, many of which were stashed abroad, were uncovered, revealing 658 million baht in personal wealth. Though his exact salary isn’t confirmed, it is certainly too low to amass such extreme wealth.

                        And the money was allegedly hidden away as well. NACC officials say that Prayad made false statements about six assets, valued at around two million baht total, in order to deliberately conceal the wealth when he was confirmed to the post in January of 2017. Those items were held within Thailand, but under his spouse’s name.

                        But since 2019, four other high-value assets were uncovered, stashed in other countries and valued at a staggering 225 million THB. The Office of the Attorney-General has now received all the details of the investigation by the NACC, everything they discovered, and the decision to fire him and suggestion of how to handle the likely ill-gotten gains. That Attorney-General Office will then be the one to pursue prosecution of Prayud at the Criminal Court for Corruption and Misconduct Cases.

                        The NACC is the department that takes on high-profile corruption cases and investigates to seek justice. Recent cases include that of the Deputy Minister of Educationaccused of a land deal that encroached on a National Park, and a police officer accused of bribing residents in Chiang Mai. Last year they investigated the confusingly wealthy officer Joe Ferrari after he suffocated a suspect in police custody, and previously they investigated the shocking number of extremely expensive watches warn by now acting Caretaker Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwant.


                        • #13
                          Police superintendent transferred to “inactive” post after pub raid

                          The saga continues around the pub that was raided in Thailand’s northern Chiang Rai province early yesterday morning. The police superintendent of Chiang Rai’s city district police, Colonel Kittipong Sukwattanapun, has now been transferred to an “inactive” post in the operations centre of the provincial police headquarters. The transfer is punishment for his alleged failure to control the operations of the Par Club pub. At the pub, a team of officials had found 325 people drinking underage, with some as young as 16 years old. The pub operator was initially charged with allowing people under 20 years old to use its services, operating past legal hours, and serving alcoholic drinks to underage people and related offences. The pub had allegedly been operating until 4am, instead of 2am as required by law. The officials also discovered three fire exits locked, apparently to prevent customers from sneaking out without paying bills. According to the transfer order, issued by the provincial police commander, Colonel Kittipong will lose his post in the Muang district police office. Officials have proposed that the provincial governor close the pub for five years.

                          Original Story
                          A team of officials has busted hundreds of teenagers in the northern Chiang Rai province drinking under Thailand’s legal age of 20. The officials raided a pub in the main city district early this morning and found 325 people drinking underage, with some as young as 16 years old. Many of the youngsters dashed away on motorcycles when they saw the officials show up at around 2am. The team found the venue crowded with young customers drinking and dancing. The officials then delivered a major buzzkill to the teens by ordering staff at the pub to turn off the music and switch on the lights. The pub operator was initially charged with allowing people under 20 years old to use its services, operating past legal hours, and serving alcoholic drinks to underage people and related offences. The team of officials will now propose that the Chiang Rai governor revoke the operating licence of the pub, and order the closure of the venue for five years. The officials that raided the pub were from the Department of Provincial Administration, and the Department of Juvenile Observation and Protection. The chief of the DPA’s law enforcement operations centre led the raid. The centre posted photos of the raid on its Facebook page today. The centre said all three of the pub’s fire exit doors had been locked. The fire exit doors of another pub in Thailand, the Mountain B Pub in Chon Buri, had also been locked when a fire broke out there last month.


                          • #14
                            169 Thai police officers dismissed for serious violations

                            The Royal Thai Police (RTP) revealed that 169 officers were dismissed this year due to serious disciplinary violations while another 215 officers were punished and disciplined. The Office of the Police Commission met with caretaker Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan yesterday for an overview of the RTN’s fiscal year for the last meeting of 2022.

                            The meeting discussed human resource management, salaries, special compensation, guidelines on how police officers should behave, and information on serious misconduct practices by the RTP. RTP spokesperson Yingyot Thepchamnong revealed 169 police officers were fired because of serious disciplinary violations, and 19 were sacked this month alone.

                            Yingyot added that another 215 were disciplined, and 27 of them were punished this month. Yingyot pointed out that the punishment process of the Royal Thai Police is swift and severe and helps to quickly rid the RTP of any bad elements.


                            • #15
                              Pattaya clubs and police deny allegations of bribes

                              A photo is making the social media rounds that claims to be taken at a police meet-up in a club showing a list of bribes paid by local businesses. In the fallout of the Club One Pattaya drug raid, both Pattaya Police and venue owners are denying claims of bribery and corruption. The manager of Club One complained during the raid that he had connections with the Chon Buri Governor and a deal with local police, prompting the flood of social media scrutiny.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	Notes.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	6051

                              After the raid, viral social media posts shared photos that imply evidence of local police taking bribes from clubs. The photos allege to show the Chief Commander of Chonburi Police eating at an unidentified venue with a group of other Pattaya Police officials. Another photograph purportedly reveals a paper on that table with the diners containing a handwritten note.

                              The note listed many well-known nightlife entertainment venues in the area with numbers next to them. Online commenters believe that these numbers represent the bribes paid to police in order to be allowed to bend or break laws regarding the operations of the clubs.

                              Representatives of both the venues on the list and the police deny any truth to these photos and call them fake. They could be right; some of the names on the list of police bribes are venues that closed long ago due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

                              TPN National News reported a press conference was called last night at 10pm to discuss the photos. Representatives acknowledged that the photos of the police officers eating a meal together were real, but there was no corruption involved. They said it was just a group of co-workers celebrating a promotion. Officers were said to have met with venue operators to discuss new policies and police rules but not solicit bribes.

                              The chairman of the Pattaya Nightlife Business Association expressed disappointment. She said that tourism is just starting to recover and these false allegations would push police to crack down and harm tourism again. Venue operators pledged to take legal action against the people publishing the photos and allegations of police bribes, and anyone who perpetuated those rumours.